Calibration changes mid playing (drum drifting)

Hi,

I just started getting to know the product and I have soooo much fun with it.
I never learned to play drums because I didn’t have room for a drum kit and the noise is also a big factor.
Now I can play for fun without any issues.

I noticed that sometimes the calibration of one of the sensors changes and I have to adjust the angel (or recalibrate while playing)
I’m sure that as I practice I will learn how to better use those sensors, but is there a quick way to make sure this will not happen?
I watched the tutorial videos you posted (including the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzj-J2VkRbw video) and I understand that the reference drum kicks in, is there a way to toggle the reference drum feature on and off to see if I better play without it?

Thanks

Hi there,

I started playing drum with Freedrum because of the same reasons just like you. The drifting is much better since v5 for the sensors.

You can nearly avoid the drifting when you accustom to play exactly in the center of the angel that’s mentioned in the guide you already posted.

Further improvement of the drifting by not playing this way should come with new software updates I suggest.

BTW, here is a first video of me trying freedrum out: https://www.facebook.com/raanan.zvi/posts/10155031704700698

I have a similar drift issues with my sensors. After about 3 minutes of drumming, when I hit where the snare drum is supposed to be (0 deg and level), it plays the floor tom instead.

Although I’m using using iOS 10.3.3, my garage band is an old v2.1. I can’t upgrade as the device is issued by by company.

Is this a sensor problem, or garage band issue?

I don’t think it’s garageband. All that does is receive the signals and plays sounds. I have the same behaviour on both iPod touch with iOS 9.3.5 and on an android phone just using the senserware app.
I’m not sure how much is still a firmware issue and how much is by design … Tutorial 3 explains how it could be by design.

I think if you don’t keep the sticks close to the exact centre-50º positions the sensors self-adjust. So if you play snare at 10º one way instead of dead straight in front of you, that will become the centre position and then the other two zones move slightly in that direction as well. Would be good if a Dev or other experts could confirm this. It’s quite an important concept to understand.

I have noticed that there is also a lot to do with the inclination of the sticks. For example, if you make sure that when you play the snare with both sticks and both of them are tilted a little bit inwards, you will find the snare in spite of already moved areas.

In general, I think that the topic will get more and more dealt with every firmware version, as it will eventually be so mature that no more drifting will occur.

Freedrums has its own way of playing, which you have to get used to and learn, as the manufacturers explained in their tutorials :slight_smile:

First: It’s an awesome idea and fun to use!

OK, now to my suggestions:

I get that the sensors are designed to be used a certain way. And for a KS project, this first release is great. That said, if a goal is create a product that will sell like crazy, then the sensors should adapt more to the player, not only the other way around.

Even when I’m keeping the sensors level (as in, I’m watching them to make sure), one or another sensor sometimes loses its mapping to the correct sound. For example, the color coding changes from green/left to purple/right even when I haven’t repositioned or crossed the sticks.

If the tech isn’t quite able to handle that level of calibration or adaptation-to-humans yet while remaining light and small, then consider adding a fast & small recalibration button or sensor attached to the main one via a wire (with its own mini-strap to keep it in place) that I can place near enough to a finger so that I can seamlessly recalibrate the main sensor (while playing) by just returning that stick to the snare and then pressing that button to confirm that “this direction is where my snare is”. Or let me pick which drum to use as my calibration for each sensor. For example, I could set one to the hi-hat and one to the snare. It could be an optional add-on, maybe even via the USB input, if there’s a way to send a signal through that.

I don’t know if I interpret your request correctly, but the LED buttons are already designed to determine the correct direction. If you notice that the calibration is no longer correct, simply press the LED buttons.

The freedrum team describes the functionality in its tutorials:
https://www.freedrum.rocks/setup/getting-started

But then I would need to stop playing, correct?

Not necessarily, you can orientate yourself to a smaller pause, like for example an breakdown after the drifted mapping and then press the buttons or if a fill comes in which you anyway centrically (toms, etc.) Play press the buttons.

You can also re-calibrate the sensors by playing in the exact angle.

As already assumed by me, I assume that with upcoming firmware updates the solution of the drifting mapping will work.

Thanks for sharing your view, Lawrence!

Thanks Kevin. Yes,I acknowledge I need more practice to get used to Freedrum’s play style. The good (or bad?) thing is I’m not a pro on traditional drum set, so don’t have much to unlearn and relearn. :sweat_smile:

Eagerly looking forward to more stability in newer firmware versions to make learning and playing easier.

I also try to recalibrate by pointing at snare drum and press button when I notice the sensors drift.

Here, you said we can “recalibrate the sensor by playing in the exact angle”. Is this another method of recalibration? I’ll review the tutorials, but I don’t remember seeing this method.

Could you please elaborate,or clarify if I had misunderstood what you meant?

Yes, of course, if you play imprecise (Not in the 50 degree angle) and the kit drifts, you can perform repeated strokes in the exact 50 degree line (as seen from the middle) and the sensors try to re-orientate themselves, or try to look for the center 50 degrees to the right (fairly spoken).

Of course, if you continue to play imprecise (not in the 50 degree angle), the sensors will no longer find the center or calculate it incorrectly.

As far as I know, the developers have implemented this feature with the latest update (v5).

If this doesn’t help, just press the led button.

will be trying this tip. thanks!!