Firmware v9 and Freedrum app v2, Big Step Backwards

Is it only me? Or did we go backwards with v9?
Not sure what Firmware v9 changed but since I updated, I’m having more trouble playing, than ever before.
I use Logic Pro X, in v8 the areas for the components of the drum kit were more defined.
Now, I’m hitting in the same areas and getting different sounds.
In addition, calibrating the sticks by centering them and pressing the buttons, does not seem to have the same effect. Did something change with that procedure?
What happen to the open hi-hat by rotating the stick?
Same with the bell in the ride cymbal.

The Freedrum app v2, with all due respect, is a joke.
The colors show up on the sensors but hitting an area lights up multiple parts of the kit.
The location of the different parts of the drum kit is completely counterintuitive.
It treats the great potential that Freedrum has as a toy.

Could we use the app just to set the areas where we want Freedrum to play the different parts of the drum kit?
I would like to still use the superior sound and flexibility of Logic Pro X, but define where I have to hit.
What happened to the Freedrum Configuration Tool? Do you have a new version?
Can I still use the beta version posted in GitHub?

Hi,

In addition, calibrating the sticks by centering them and pressing the buttons, does not seem to have the same effect. Did something change with that procedure?

No, there has been no changes to the calibration in the new firmware.

What happen to the open hi-hat by rotating the stick?
Same with the bell in the ride cymbal.

It’s still there.

In a comment to the other issues you are describing, it sounds that you are having problems that shouldn’t be there. Please send an email to support@freedrum.rocks and we’ll help you from there.

Not sure what tool you are referring to. We do not have any public tools for configuration on GitHub. I’ve seen a 3rd party configurator if thats what you mean ? 3rd party apps is however unsupported by us here at Freedrum.

Hi Fredrik,

Sending an email to support.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my concerns.
Please keep in mind the suggestion of using the Freedrum app to calibrate the sensors and assign areas for the drum kit parts, regardless of what software we use to play.
I still feel Freedrum has incredible potential. We just need better tools to reach it.

Hi Fredrik,
Send a request for support 5 days ago.
No response!

It’s still there, I just tried it after v9 upgrade and it works fine (at least on Mac and Chrome). I didn’t do any changes to the config tool code after the firmware upgrade. But as Fredrik mentioned, it’s not officially supported, I’m just trying to kind of maintain it in workable state and testing it after firmware updates, but please keep in mind it’s a hobby project :slight_smile: It’s still useful to change the MIDI notes yourself to align with whatever DAW or plugin you’re using, or things like Ref Drum Window and other values that helps with the drifting for example.
I personally didn’t feel any big difference after v9 upgrade, but it definitely didn’t get worse, also the new freedrum app v2 has much more neat UI and get you closer to the full control of the kit.

I’d been testing with the freedrum when I got it last week. Yes, as what TS mention, hitting the same spot also triggers other drums at times and I notice the color changes even though I didn’t move about and try to keep in place.

Also, I often need to recalibrate it often to keep either sticks center.

When you lift your stick it will trigger the colors based on the angle and pad you are closest to. It will only trigger the sound for those instruments when you hit in that pads area.

If you are hearing sounds other than the instrument you want to hit it could be due to the angle or zone you are pointing the sensors in. Also, please make sure to keep the sensor facing up. Rotating the stick in your hand can cause this to happen.