Freedrum vs Senstroke and Android compatibility

Hi everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been eyeing this since quite some time, and now is the time! The only thing is that I’m still hesitating between Senstroke and Freedrum. I’ve heard very good things from both, but I didn’t find any article or video comparing both products.

What would be the advantages of Freedrum over Senstroke? I saw that Freedrum was for air drumming, can Senstroke do that as well, or just with hard surfaces? Conversely, would maybe Senstroke be better at managing pads, rebounds, and generally hitting surfaces than Freedrum?

Another point that I’m not sure about is the compatibility with my phone, I have a Wiko View Max, and for example the Freedrum app says there could be problems with my phone because of no “Pro audio” while the Senstroke app reports less than 45 ms of latency, are both products using completely different technology, or is it MIDI over BlueTooth for both?

I’d be grateful for opinions from Freedrum users and people who may have used both products :slightly_smiling_face:
Florian

Hey! Thank you for reaching out to us. We have briefly tested out the Senstroke sensors. Though they look similar it is two completely different ways to play. To play you have to physically hit something versus Freedrum which is just the air.

It makes it difficult to have a 10 piece kit, like you can with Freedrum, because you would need to many items or drum pads to hit. Where with Freedrum it is the air so you don’t need any other equipment other than a smartphone, tablet or computer.

They do have an advantage of having feedback from hits, but it only gives the feel of a real drumset if it is a practice pad, but we have seen them use legs, pillows etc to play.

We believe that for us we are offering a way to play the drums anytime anywhere to the fullest. No cables, no equipment, no drum pads just your sticks and smartphone.

We can’t say for sure that your device will work because for starters we have never tested this device and the diagnostics say it doesn’t have pro audio. We do have a 14-day return policy if you wanted to order and check it out.

Thanks for your answer, that clarifies it!

Now I have to decide if I want to air drum or play on pads :stuck_out_tongue: But I will definitely take up that if there is a return policy, that’s great!

Hi.
I have been able to get the 2 solutions : Freedrum and Senstroke. Here is my experience !

Both solutions have their advantages.
They are both MIDI over Bluetooth.
Freedrum will let you play where you want because you don’t need to hit something. Sadly, you don’t really have the sensation of "playing dums, beacause of that. It is still a great idea, but i found it limited at a point of “simulate drums”.
Senstroke needs a surface, practice pad, or not. It is really precise, even on a pillow, and allows you to get more dumming sensations. The downside is that you can’t have a full drumkit of 10 elements on your knee, but it is logical if you want to have good drums vibe.
I would add that even if it is difficult to play with a lot elements on a small surface with Sensroke, it is also difficult to manage the Freedrum rifting problem.

In the end, both products have different purpose : Freedrum is more for “entairtainment” and Senstroke more “reallistic”

@Yoriko Thanks for your detailed comparison! That helps a lot.

One thing I didn’t get, what is the Freedrum rifting problem?

Well, the sensors tends to drift quite often. There is a lot of threads about it.

This can lead to some big issues for playing with FD sadly.