Is freedrum suitable for beginners?

As many had mention about their experience using freedrum to play and the techniques used is different from playing on the actual drum kit.

So I question to all is, is freedrum really suitable for beginners to practice at home when they’re learning in music schools with the actual drum.

It’s like the techniques they learn from drum coach and they’re trying to practice and get the techniques right. Yet, with freedrum, they had to adjust their technique to suit the freedrum way.

Why can’t freedrum be improve so that it can be use as practice with acoustic drum techniques as well rather than just for professionals or performers who perform or record?

I have limited real drum experience but I would say one of the main differences would be the natural bounce back the drum stick head on a real kit has, that cannot be replicated with sensors like Freedrum. I find though, holding the stick loosely and allowing the back end of the stick to hit the inside of my hand when stopping the stick, feels like there is bounce back. This along with a very natural sounding drum (plenty of choice in GarageBand) and the velocity and volume sensing and algorithms provide an overall experience that I feel is more realistic than I originally expected. Especially with a good set of headphone (Bose or similar) Definitely for mastering rudiments or learning a new song (or reading sheet music) and you’re travelling or with friends and can’t take the whole kit, there won’t be too much you need to unlearn to then apply to the real drum kit. Also once you get your head around working with relative angles (Freedrum), compared to any angle at a specific point in space (real drum), learning both will probably improve your precision and give you way more flexibility in when and where you play. I haven’t looked back and it still makes me smile over a year later.

Couldn’t have said it better Robin! Thank you!

Ambious, yes we agree when you speak about certain style of playing. We see it as a way for beginners to play or practice on the go when they are not in the drum class or at home in front of their drum kit or even at home when say its too loud on an acoustic drum kit.

We have seen customers start with Freedrum and move to an acoustic kit which is a great feeling. Just knowing we were the start of their musical journey is a win. :slight_smile:

Yes, true in a way. But if the students were to get the freedrum for practice at home over what they’ve learned in class. They can’t practice in a natural way of holding the sticks but confined to holding it parallel (as if they’re playing lion dance in Chinese culture).

That will defeat the purpose of attending class to learn the right way of playing. Does anyone here always play on the acoustic drum with holding your drumsticks parallel to each other or in a way the 2 sticks are forming a triangle from the top?

Hi Ambious,
As per your other post and last paragraph here, all the sensors are independent. You can point them in any direction and then press the calibrate button. It is working off relative angles from that starting position.
Ie I point the 2 tips slightly inwards (not perfectly parallel) then calibrate and works just fine.