New App Feedback and Wishlist

Hi guys,

Just had my first play with the new app and initially takes a little getting used to all the new positioning and configuration tool, but generally a good result. Ie took a while to realise the CLEAR button to remove drum sound, as I was initially pressing the BIN symbol which removes the drum completely.

I’ll continue to play around with it, but here are a few comments/wishes.

1. rimshot!! Can’t wait for a rimshot sound…ideally from a LEFT hand, RIGHT twist gesture on the SNARE (opposite to lifting hihats with your RIGHT hand, LEFT twist gesture), rather than a completely new drum position.

2. hihat foot control is the same as before and my previous feedback still applies. Ie you have to lift your foot a considerable height BEFORE hitting, for any of the sound to ring out. If you hit with foot closed and lift a milli-second later or at the same time as hitting, it does not ring out at all, whereas on a real drum it would. It would be better if the following was programmed in:

• lift before hit, completely OPEN sound (as it currently works)
  • don’t lift at all, completely CLOSED sound (as it currently works)
  • lift same time or just after hitting, ring out sound is proportional to the time period after you hit, up to a point (maybe 1-2seconds) when it does not ring out because of your hit, but just the sound of lifting the hats with your foot. Happy to explain better to developers if above does not make sense.
  1. would love more sound selections, main reason I’ll continue to play with GarageBand (better sounds and more selection)
    I guess will come with future releases
  2. V9, glad it’s made the 3 TOMS available in GarageBand (low, mid and high), previously only 2 TOMS (low, mid) :+1:t3:

Keep up the good work guys!!

Hi and thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:

Good point on the clear button. We should probably highlight it in the on boarding screens!

1. The sensors and the app supports it for all pads. We’re still need to make the samples for it though.
  2. I know what you mean. We have some experimental code for it which makes the hihat become more “natural” and will open and close it in “realtime”. However, we decided to stick with the old way until the new algoritm is perfected :slight_smile:
  3. Yepp. We have more samples cooking.
  4. Cheers! :smiley:

Well Freedrum, what can I say. But the new update is not only confusing (and i’m A tech wiz kid). But adding even more drums now seems to cause even more drifting and miss hits.

Congratulations on yet again evading the ‘drifting’ problem and dribbling out yet another unnecessary update.

What are your thoughts guys? I’ve simply reverted to the original settings. NO CHANGE!

it’s clear… THE DRIFTING CAN NOT BE FIXED!

DISSAPOINTING. Just my opinion

ALSO: the patterns you’ve added in relation to the additional drums don’t even remotely match that of a drum kit. Somplaying feels super unnatural now

I challenge anyone to add ALL additional pieces and play with accuracy. It’s just not possible

The video below shows me playing in the snare region, and yet ALL areas are firing off

Unfortunately, the new update is a disappointment for me. I am using Android Samsung S9 and its unplayable at this moment.
Sensor angle to switch between upper and lower drums is lowered. It feels like its around 95°, so i have to tilt my hands very low in order to play lower drums…
Sensors are too sensitive and register some random hits even when lifting the stick up after a hit.
Application often freezes for a few seconds.
Interface is counter intuitive. Hard to input precise metronome beats and volume.
When editing drum placement, drum removal button messes up the whole line. I can’t change one particular drum. I need to remove them all and start adding again.
Will have to wait the fix.

Thanks for the input. We will review all the things you bring up. Oh, and use the clear button to remove an instrument from a pad without deleting the pad. You can also select a pad, and then a new instrument without clearing or deleting.

Oh, I see, thank You! It often doesn’t register when i push the “clear” button, have to push it few times. That’s why I thought it doesn’t work at all.
I tested that button a bit and found out that the field which registers the touch is kinda on the upper side of the button and that made me miss it, so I suggest expanding it down a bit in the future when You are doing small fixes, it will feel more natural for clumsy fingers like mine hehe.

Yes, you have to touch the top (or above) of the CLEAR and also the CLICK button (for the metronome).

The knobs for bpm, volume, balance and reverb are hard to use with accuracy, they look nice but barely usable. A slider (and a number input field for the metronome) would be better.

Inserting pads in between or moving the pads around would be a nice option, but not necessary.

The list of the sensors (when editing them) is really small on my phone (Android 9, Mate 20), it could be taller, so I could see all 4 sensors. Also sensors could connect automatically, like in Sensorware.

The drifting has not changed, angles and accuracy still causing headache… fixing this should be priority #1!!!

Opening the hihat on the desired beat is still a challenge for me, I guess I won’t use it anytime soon…

That’s it for now, nice job, but still plenty of work to do for the tech guys. :slight_smile:

It did take a little while to realise that all the control knobs actually work as sliders. Not that intuitive given they look like knobs.
Ie need to click on knob and slide UP or Down the screen, which in turn spins the knob.

Well Freedrum, what can I say. But the new update is not only confusing (and i’m A tech wiz kid). But adding even more drums now seems to cause even more drifting and miss hits.

Congratulations on yet again evading the ‘drifting’ problem and dribbling out yet another unnecessary update.

What are your thoughts guys? I’ve simply reverted to the original settings. NO CHANGE!

it’s clear… THE DRIFTING CAN NOT BE FIXED!

DISSAPOINTING. Just my opinion

ALSO: the patterns you’ve added in relation to the additional drums don’t even remotely match that of a drum kit. Somplaying feels super unnatural now

I challenge anyone to add ALL additional pieces and play with accuracy. It’s just not possible

The video below shows me playing in the snare region, and yet ALL areas are firing off

Hey Fillipo,

It looks like the sensors are not calibrated or you do not have them facing the correct position. I uploaded the same configuration and I am playing the snare and then moving the sticks around to show the different pads lighting up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zc4Cw1H-YfCzIhDK-NPKAj8jLWfyfQsb

Well I had a quick blast with the new app and did think it was an improvement. That being said I thought the lower rack where I had all my snare / toms was super low and had to hit around (lower than) my legs to hit these drums. Is there any way to raise the angle slightly?

After 3 days to test the new app, i’ve found 2 problems (Create the same kit as the old app with sensor v9) :

• Sensor angle is a real problem (more than before) ride/tom or crash/hihat --> not enough difference, i often hear twice :frowning:

• The sensitvity is to high for snare drum : good for rolls but i hear sound when i hit down (ok) AND often up too… Is any one have the same problem ?

Because this 2 pb, I have less fun since the new app… It’s to bad, your product is near perfect :frowning:

I think the App is fine. Sure maybe a litttle close, the drifting can get frustrating but my body can move a few inches to compensate. All of you “techies” who feel it Necessary To drill these guys for all the hard work they’re doing Feel free to create your own app That would be so perfect as you have so much input. I’m sure they would appreciate the help . Speaking of tech wizardry lol…Can someone please in the next 5 years or so maybe try to attempt a program That includes Everything that’s not so Elaborate I’m just a drummer I’m not a sound engineer I’m not a computer wizard I just wanna jam So something that included The sensorware with the DAW with the VST Already in it would be so helpful Something I can just turn on hit start and start jamming . I’ve had my kit for a year now and as awesome as it is I’m restricted to Android becaused the Reaper/MTdrumkit/Windows just won’t work for me. I have followed the instructions to the T tirelessly hours on end days on end And I just can’t get The sound For the drums to connect to the sensors So I am lost I’m frustrated Still very much appreciative and grateful for this program!! It kicks butt!

P.S. I can’t afford to just go out and buy OS or iOS

These guys were fine about selling a product for a price and NOT mentioning the drifting issue. When they were fully aware about the issue and have still yet to fix it. I say we are perfectly within our right to drill into the freedrum group. It clearly wasnt ready AND STILL ISNT A YEAR AND A HALF LATER!

Hi Freedrum! I like the fact that you can add more drums and options but they don’t work for me at all. I tried putting a china cymbal and it doesn’t work, tried adding toms, it doesn’t work; but having an original configuration still works. The way I see it why add something if it can’t be played…

Did you update the firmware to v9 ? If you Did, please sen an email to support@freedrum.rocks and well help you from there.

After a little more practice with V9, I too feel it is not quite as stable as v8 in regards to drifting, when using GarageBand on iOS with additional hi-Tom. Maybe I’m just not used to the new positioning yet due to 3rd Tom, however most drums tend to slowly drift further and further left, especially the crash. I almost have to hit behind my shoulder after a little while.
Also, the hihat and hiTom tend to merge quicker than before. Ie after a while the hiTom triggers on about 5deg up from horizontal.

I like having the extra Tom, but had fun for longer with v8.

I just can’t wait for stable positioning like v8 with the additional Tom, and right twist, left hand RIMSHOT on the snare. That’s all I want and will continue to use GarageBand.
Next wish is the improved left foot hihat lift, which I know you’re working on.
I also like the sound of your Feeedrum app Splash…but find the extra drums make it quite difficult to master.

Further to my last post, maybe Freedrum can confirm, but appears the GarageBand angles are not independent to Freedrum app setup.

Ie I just removed 1 drum from the top layer in Freedrum app (from 5 down to 4) and kept lower layer the 3 drums. See image below.

Then program this setup with the TICK symbol.
Now back in GarageBand it is performing as I was used to with 3 toms and very little drifting (similar to v8).
Now just the rimshot sound and I’ll be sorted for a while!! :slight_smile:

Actually, in the above image I set top right drum to Splash, and now in GarageBand I have no ride symbol. They are definitely linked.

Therefore it is now clear, to use GarageBand properly, I need to program the Freedrum drums to the same layout as GarageBand with the same drums. I’ve now changed splash to ride in top right and everything is back to normal…I can hear the ride again in GarageBand.

Hope the above makes sense and helps others avoid what I did wrong.
This might also explain why some people are finding drifting more of an issue, if using DAW like GarageBand and not the Freedrum app.

Also, don’t forget to close down Freedrum app after drum setup, if using GarageBand, as you can hear both drumkits otherwise.