Shorter Freedrum Sticks - Travel Version

We were discussing some ideas around Freedrum’s portability. We decided that we want your feedback on this.

Would you purchase a kit with shorter sticks to make it easier to travel?
Would you want it to still look like a traditional drum stick?

Let us know what you think and give us your feedback! :slight_smile:

This is a rough version we hacked in the office. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I’ve been messing around with a pair of 12-inch sticks. Yes, it’s more convenient, and I can play in an even more constricted space at my computer if I want. The response with shorter sticks isn’t as good, at least without tweaking the sensors’ sensitivity settings, which I’m not able to try yet. I mean that the bounce of the smaller sticks won’t allow as wide a dynamic range at the low end (MIDI velocities less than 30), and it’s more difficult to control MIDI velocity in a detailed way in general, though a lot of players may not want or need that kind of detail.

Part of the issue is that, in my experience so far, the sensors provide a more detailed response the farther away they are from the fulcrum point. There’s not much room to play with, but with long sticks, I can position the sensors a bit farther down so that there’s about an inch between my thumb and the sensor, which must be providing finer gradations of torque, I suppose. With the way the 12-inch sticks balance, I can get barely any extra space at all. In any case, the slightly reduced weight of the tapered stick will allow the sensor to be placed slightly farther down, making a slightly wider range of torque possible.

I should also say that I can only control MIDI velocities below 20 by hitting my leg with the stick and not air drumming. I’m hoping access to sensor parameters will be able to affect that. I use BFD to map side sticks and other sounds to the low velocities of toms and snares for drumming with more voices.

Not to toot my own horn here, but was this something stemmed from my idea back upon freedrums release :slight_smile: or is this completely an original idea?

Also, made my own version of these with my spare freedrum sticks. How weird… great minds

Let’s get small.

I want a pair now!!!

Good to hear! We had a very positive reaction from the forum, email and social media channels on short sticks. :slight_smile:
Thank you for commenting and sharing with us. We were surprised to see how many of you out there had already cut them down.

Do you feel as though you have a better playing experience with them shorter?
Is the lighter feeling easier to use or more difficult?

Let us know! The more information the better!

I’ve compared my little short ones in the picture, 12-inch, and 13-inch sticks. There’s no question that the original, standard sticks give the best playing response in terms of the most precise control over dynamics. The smaller the stick, the less precise it gets, but they’re not bad, and they’re all playable if you want convenience. I’m hoping that when the app gives more control over the sensors’ parameters that I’ll be able to adjust for shorter sticks–even the super short ones–to make them play better.

Try adding a counter weight so that you can play using the counterweight.
The counterweight can work to to sotp the stick from flying away.

I would love to have not shorter, but lighter sticks!!! :slight_smile:

The straps fit on the 7A sticks we provide, but you can always switch them out for some different sticks you find at a instrument store. :slight_smile: