Windows Support

Could somebody please recommend a bluetooth adapter? I purchased the bluetooth nano stick v4.0 by aplic, but the sensors still wouldn’t pair. It would be great to hear from somebody whose sensors pair and thus which specific adapter they use. Thanks :slight_smile:

Asus BT-400 has proved to work fine on both mac and windows for me.

Thanks Frederik. Do I have to consider something else when I plug in the adapter? I already have default bluetooth 3.0 on my laptop. Do I have to remove it somehow, so that it won’t interfere with the adapter or doesn’t it matter?

I think you just need to try it out yourself and see what works. Every computer and device is unfortunately unique :wink:

This turns out to be so frustrating. I bought asus bt 400, but it says it is not compatible with my windows 10 laptop…guess I have to try other dongles

Hi, I can recommend the iogear GBU521 usb dongle. Took it yesterday from my Hackintosh (so MacOS compatible too) and used it with four Freedrum sensors with Windows 10.

Just installed that bluetooth driver and piped my 4 sticks straight into FL studio. Seems like they’re in working order, except all 4 seem to be set as kick drums… Well I have six distinct sounds, all variations of kicks… Ah, I needed to open a drum VST. derp. Up and running in FL studio gang! Looks like I’ll still need to goof around to get the second set of sticks to map to my feet, and with FL studios FPC I don’t have anything where a floor tom should be (low purple), or where a crash should be (high green)…

Looks like there’s still a bit of fiddling to go to get everything where I want it, but this is pretty great!

Does anyone know why things won’t work with any bluetooth dongle? My laptop is about 6 years old and it has bluetooth 3 on it. I bought three different bluetooth adapters providing bluetooth 4, ble: one of them didn’t recognize any of the sensors, the other two adapters do recognize them, but it is not possible to pair them… I am clueless…

Hi, I have the same problem where I can only use one stick at a time as my computer says that all the sticks have the same device name. This means I can only connect one to my DAW as otherwise it says “This device is already in use”. Does anyone know how to rename the sticks? Thanks

It’s currently not possible to change the name of the Sensor. However, it’s under development and is coming soon in a firmware update.

@wildandfree Maybe you should Check this:
Trial&Error - Connecting a terminal device / client pc

Thanks for the reply Fredrik. Glad to hear that, do you have any idea of when the update will be released?

We have a new firmware comming the next few days fixing some other important issues. The version after that may include the change name option. No promises and a date though :wink:

Uuuuuweeeeh in the next few days :heart_eyes::metal:t2:

Got my ASUS BT-400 adapter for my PC today. Downloaded and installed the Korg BLE drivers. In Sonar I can only get one stick to work at a time, but it works fine. Installed reaper and gave that a try and both my sticks work well at the same time (I haven’t tried the feet as well yet but assume they will be fine as well).
So, the adapter works :grinning:. As does reaper.
I assume the Sonar issue is to do with the names of the midi inputs being the same. Am running the latest version of Sonar Platinum (updated yesterday).
Hopefully that will get sorted soon unless it is something I am doing? Has anyone had both sticks working on Sonar at the same time yet? If so, what’s the trick?

Hey thank you so much it worked!!! Glad I can use them and should have tried this before. Shame I can’t use them in sonar but it will do for now.

Hi there guys!
I’ve been trying to get my FD sticks to work on my Win10 PC following the given steps (Reaper + Power Drumkit + Korg drivers) and made sure my Bluetooth is 4.0 BLE. I can add them as a device on windows, it finds them and links them, but when I open up reaper and search for MIDI inputs, they don’t show up. Any ideas why? Thank you!!

Hi Pol, have you tried restart reaper ? Or restart the whole computer then re-linking the sensors ?

My experience about windows 10 :
I experience some random latency (sometimes a hit feels right, sometimes there is a small latency, sometimes even it can produces the sound 0.5s after the movement, but this is quite rare !). This is really anoying. I’m on W10, last updates done, reaper + MT powerdrumkit, and I use this USB 4 dongle :

Should I try with another dongle ? Or tweak some windows 10 options, to be in some kind of performance mode (no antivirus, etc…) ?

Other devices tested :

• Android phone (Z5 compact) : far better than windows but still some random latency happens
  • Iphone 6S : it’s PERFECT ! Zero latency, feels almost perfectly natural !

I thinked about some stuff to help poor bluetooth windows users, but it’s probably not realist :

1/ Would it be possible to have a “wired” usb connection, to avoid any bluetooth latency problem ? There is a micro USB port on each sensor for charging, maybe it could be use to connect directly the sensor like a USB-midi device ? The risk being to damage the micro USB port with all the stick movements :confused: it’s probably not a good idea though

2/ Almost the same idea but more complicated, wouldn’t it be possible for freedrums to create a “module”, that could handle the bluetooth sensors without latency, and be connected to a computer with usb to generate USB-midi commands ? If we push the concept a bit, it could be a “all-in-a-box” module with the synth generator you made on android app, and a classic jack output to be pluged on PA :slight_smile:.

Hi,

1.) The usb jack is only used for charging and no data pins are connected to the pcb, so that is unfortunately not an option.

2.) That a good idea! :wink: